New Century Magnet Program
New Century's Mission Statement
The mission of New Century Technology High School is to immerse motivated, highly capable students in advanced studies and industry experience in the in the fields of computer science, engineering, and biomedical science as Huntsville's only STEM magnet high school.
Strand Mission Statements:
- Biomedical Science: The biomedical strand at NCTHS utilizes advanced lab equipment and techniques, provides hands-on practice in biotechnology and healthcare, and encourages collaborative learning that results in literacy in statistical analysis of scientific databases through partnerships with HudsonAlpha and Huntsville Hospital.
- Computer Science: The mission of the computer science department is to provide exceptional preparation in the fields of computer science and cybersecurity to fully prepare students for the ever-evolving technological world we live in through collaborative business partnerships, internships, dual enrollment opportunities, and advanced-level courses only offered at New Century.
- Engineering: The mission of the engineering department is to expose students to various branches of engineering while instilling employability skills through project-based activities following innovative industry trends.
Unique Program Components
- Specialized strands of study in computer science, engineering, and biomedical science
- Enhanced opportunities for involvement in current business projects through internships, mentoring, and project-based learning
- Unique courses in each strand designed to increase student exposure to specialize content and experts in the field
- Collaborate with industry experts to ensure students are prepared for careers of the future through progressive curriculum and hands-on experience
For current application information, please visit the Huntsville City Schools Magnet page.
- Students should have a grade average in core classes of 80%
- Students may apply for the next academic year during the application window. To see available application dates please visit the district magnet page.
- Students will complete a writing sample during the next step process.
- Learn more about our specific acceptance information
After being accepted to the magnet program, students must be enrolled through InfoSnap during the normal InfoSnap registration period. Please visit the Huntsville City Schools Enrollment Page for more information.
To see upcoming events, view our Magnet calendar
If you want more information about New Century High School, please email Laura Taylor.
If you want more information about shadowing opportunities at New Century Technology High School, please email Julie Summers.
New Century Magnet Application Information
Steps to Apply for New Century
- Apply online during the application window and save your application confirmation page. Applicants for rising grades 9th through 12th grade will wait for their "Next Steps" email.
- You will receive a "Next Steps" email with the writing sample directions, due dates, how the writing sample will be administered and additional guidelines at the email address provided in your online application.
- If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the number of seats available, the selection will be made by lottery that is weighted by race and committee score.
Online Writing Sample Dates and Times
Next Steps dates will be specified in an email received from Magnet Office and/or the Magnet Coordinator.